22/09/2009

WHAT KIND OF READER ARE YOU?


I started reading novels at 9 and used to be an obsessed reader as a teenager. I was always looking for new books to read. I read everything I could find from Dostoevski to Apuleius, from teenage dectective stories to Jane Austen, I forgot lunch and dinner times deeply involved as I was in my fantasy worlds. I was constantly scolded by my grand-grandmother who was convinced that it was not a proper passtime for an “accomplished” girl. Why didn’t I learn how to sew or embroider, instead of wasting my time like that? I’ve never learnt how to sew or embroider , while I went on and on reading and studying all my life. Has Granny Esther forgiven me from up there? I really hope so. Since I do love reading. This is why I’ve found out and immediately loved this meme about reading habits.
It was at Always Dreaming..... Thanks Sharry!

Do you snack while you read? If so, favorite reading snack?
I make great efforts and avoid eating though I’d love to have some (even more than some) crisps while reading. I substitute eating with drinking: cups and cups of long coffee.

Do you tend to mark your books as you read, or does the idea of writing in books horrify you?
Hands up!I did it! I always do that. I underline, scribble notes, draw arrows and little hearts and smilies. Is it so terrible?

How do you keep your place while reading a book? Bookmark? Dog-ears?
I love bookmarks! I’ve got plenty of them! More than one in each book. Lots from my or my friends’ journeys abroad.

Laying the book flat open?
Yes, usually. Not when I am at school, stealing some time from other more professional activities. I stand near the window, look outside from time to time, and with my book just opened as much as to peep at the words, I try to concentrate and go on with the story I’m involved in at that moment.

Fiction, Non-fiction, or both?
I prefer fiction. But I read many articles and essays for my teaching.

Hard copy or audiobooks?
I’ve just tried two audiobooks this summer for reasons I must have confessed somewhere in this blog. But ... I’m easily distracted while listening. I prefer reading a great deal more.

Are you a person who tends to read to the end of chapters, or are you able to put a book down at any point?
I must be ready to put my book down at any moment: sons needing me, water boiling it’s time to put the pasta into it, omg it’s so late I have to correct a pile of tests, husband’s coming back from work it’s time to fetch him at the bus stop, and so on.

If you come across an unfamiliar word, do you stop to look it up right away?
Yeah, I hate feeling ignorant!

What are you currently reading?
· Jane Austen’s fragment THE WATSONS and articles or essays about it
· Muriel Barbery, “L’eleganza del riccio”
· Anything I can find about Gothic fiction, the Novel of Manners and the Historical Novel in the late 18th century/early 19th century.


What is the last book you bought?
E. Gaskell, WIVES AND DAUGHTERS

Are you the type of person that only reads one book at a time or can you read more than one at a time?
I read one novel at a time but can study and take notes about many topics and issues at the same time. (i.e. I teach medieval literature, Romantic and Victorian literature at the same time to different classes)

Do you have a favorite time of day and/or place to read?
In the summer I like getting up early and read in the fresh air. I love reading in bed at night, too. But I can read anywhere any time. I CAN’T read while travelling by car, bus or underground.

Do you prefer series books or stand alone books?
Stand alones.

Is there a specific book or author that you find yourself recommending over and over?
I love Fahrenheit 451 by R. Bradbury and Brave New World by A. Huxley immensely , though I’m not fond of science fiction. Those are the first titles which come to my mind if someone asks me “What can I read?” .Then my great loves are Jane Austen, Elizabeth Gaskell and the Brontes. Victorian novelists, in general .

How do you organize your books? (By genre, title, author’s last name, etc.?)
Organize books? I should do it. I promise myself to do it sooner or later. Instead, I carry on piling them anywhere I can find some space! How do I find one when I need it? I don’t know. It’s a miracle, but I manage.

Before wishing you the best of nights, I just want to share with you this quiz I've found on line. It seems I'm a DEDICATED READER . What about you? Try the quiz and let me know! I'm sure there are so many other dedicated readers among you!

What Kind of Reader Are You?
Your Result: Dedicated Reader

You are always trying to find the time to get back to your book. You are convinced that the world would be a much better place if only everyone read more.

Literate Good Citizen
Obsessive-Compulsive Bookworm
Book Snob
Non-Reader
Fad Reader
What Kind of Reader Are You?
Quiz Created on GoToQuiz




9 comments:

Lotta Dahl said...

I started out as an obbsessed reader and still am to this day! I feel like I've always had an edge over my peers in most circumstances because I could read so well and enjoyed doing it. I have a book I found at the thrift store of critial essays on Wuthering Heights. I first snatched it because it was Wuthering Heights and secondly I thought after I read it I might send it on to you since you are a lit teacher and all. It's got some good essays and opinion pieces in it, even one by Virginia Woolf!

Luciana said...

OK, I'm having troubles with this quiz. I can't take it! But I'm totally crazy about books. I always buy more than I can read. My shelves don't have enough space anymore! The sad thing is that I wanted to read more fiction, but university is killing me and I've been reading a lot of academic books and articles. I've the feeling that I'll be able to read a novel again only in December. Now I'm reading a book about the last president of Brazil before the ditactoriship we had in the 20th century. Oh, anyway! I really liked to know more about you're reading habits and how they're like my own!

Luciana said...

Hey MG, I just found something very nice about Elizabeth Gaskell: http://www.guardian.co.uk/books/2009/sep/14/mrs-gaskell-westminster-abbey-memorial .

Maria Grazia said...

@Jenny Kerr & Luciana
Oh, girls, it's such a joy to have blogger baddies like you! Jenny, do you really want to send me your book? You're incredibly generous! I'm so moved at finding so many great people online. And, Luciana, I know what you mean, If university is killing you, teaching is going if not killing me, to reduce much my reading speed!
I'm getting ready for work and having breakfast now. I promise I'll have a look at the link you suggest in the afternoon. Hugs to you both.

lunarossa said...

Very interesting. My question is: what do you do with the books once you've read them? I seem to keep accumulating books and I do not know where to put them anymore. If I like them a lot, I'd like to keep them, if not I try to get rid of them by giving them to friends, swapping, bookcrossing or even to charity shops (although I don't like doing that, because a book is not an item of clothing that you can get rid of without thinking about it!). But I've still got too many. My problem is that I do not like library books, because they sometimes smell bad and I hate touching them! I'm a bit weird, I know. All the best. Ciao. A.

Maria Grazia said...

@lunarossa
I know what you mean. We are surrounded by books in our house, which is very little too. Our books are everywhere and the only ones I've given away so far are old school - texts or children's books we don't need anymore. I'm afraid you won't like the smell if you come and visit us!I really don't mind them or their smell. But my husband and I regularly dust our bookshelves at the weekends. Hard job!Ciao!

Lotta Dahl said...

Yes of course... now that I've read it, it will sit here and not be read again for maybe 20 years. If I send it to you, you will read it and then share what you get from it with generations of students! It's better off with someone like you!

Maria Grazia said...

@Jenny Kerr
You're wonderful, J. I don't know how to thank you!

London Belle said...

I could never write in my books!!!! Even as a kid they were my pride and joy!!! I must admit I never look up the words - how will I learn? I will start from now on!I move more books than DVDS and CDS I am running out of room! I'm always borrowing from a friend and the library as well.
x