Some stories entertain us. Others
stay with us because, almost without noticing, they ask questions we have been
carrying inside for a long time.
Meet Yourself is one of those stories.
When I started watching this forty-episode Chinese drama, I expected a comforting slice-of-life series. What I didn't expect was to find myself wondering, episode after episode, what it really means to build a meaningful life.
The opening is
heartbreaking. Xu Hongdou is a successful hotel manager in Beijing whose
closest friend dies of cancer. Before she dies, the two women dream of
travelling together, and after her friend's death Hongdou decides to make that
journey alone. She fills a board with photographs, notes and little keepsakes
beneath two simple words: Our Dream. It is her way of
continuing a conversation that death has interrupted but not ended.
Perhaps that is why her
grief feels so genuine. The series never suggests that we should "move
on" from the people we love. Instead, it quietly proposes something far
more comforting: every time we speak about them, remember them or fulfil a
dream we once shared, they are still part of our lives.
That idea stayed with me
long after the final episode.
Hongdou's destination is
Yun Miao, a small village in Yunnan. I still remember the moment I fell in love
with the series.It wasn't a dramatic scene. It was simply seeing the village
for the first time.
The old stone and wood
houses. The narrow lanes filled with flowers. The elderly women wearing
traditional clothes. A white horse wandering freely through the streets. The
sea. The courtyard where guests and villagers gather to drink tea, share meals,
exchange ideas and slowly become part of one another's lives.
I found myself smiling and
thinking, almost involuntarily: "I'd love to visit there."
From that moment on, I was
completely immersed in the story.
Not because I was eager to
discover what would happen next, but because I wanted to spend more time with
these people.
One of the greatest
strengths of Meet Yourself is that almost nothing extraordinary
happens.
People cook.
Work.
Read.
Walk by the sea.
Help their neighbours.
Sit together in the
courtyard.
Talk.
And yet, by the end of each
episode, something has changed.
Not because of dramatic
events, but because of conversations.
Looking back, I realise
that those conversations are what I loved most.
They are never artificial
or overly philosophical. They are remarkably simple, grounded in everyday life,
yet they often touch questions that concern us all.
How do we keep the people
we have lost alive in our hearts? What makes a successful life? Can tradition
and modernity coexist without one destroying the other? How much do we really
need to be happy? One scene, in particular, has stayed with me.
Mr Ma, who has retreated
from city life in search of inner peace, is gently challenged by an elderly
village woman. She has spent her entire life working hard and caring for
others, yet her understanding of responsibility, freedom and human
relationships proves deeper than all the philosophical books Mr Ma has read.
Watching that exchange, I
found myself sharing his surprise.
The series reminds us that
wisdom does not always come from education.
Sometimes it grows quietly
through experience, work, love and everyday life.
The same quiet wisdom can
be found in Granny Xie, my favourite secondary character.
One of the reasons I admire
Meet Yourself so much is that it refuses easy solutions.
Hongdou does not
impulsively abandon one life for another. She gives herself time. She returns
to her friend's parents. She goes back to her own family. She reflects.She asks
practical questions. Only then does she decide to return to Yun Miao, investing
not only her money but also her professional experience in the village's
future.
I found that deeply
reassuring. Life-changing decisions rarely need to be rushed.
Perhaps what moved me most
was discovering that the series is not really about escaping the city. Nor is
it simply a love story. It is about recognising a place where our values, our
work and our relationships finally begin to make sense together.
The romance between Hongdou
and Xie Zhiyao grows naturally from that discovery. One of their conversations
by the sea contains one of the most generous declarations of love I have
encountered on screen—not because it asks for anything in return, but because
it leaves the other person completely free to choose her own path.
That, to me, is what love should look like.
When the final episode
ended, I realised I wasn't saying goodbye to a television series.
I was leaving a place that
had come to feel strangely familiar. A place where conversations matter. Where
people still make time for one another.
Where traditions are not
preserved out of nostalgia but because they continue to give meaning to everyday
life. Where success is measured not only by achievement but also by the quality
of our relationships.
Perhaps that is why Meet
Yourself affected me so deeply. Not because it offered answers.
But because it quietly
asked questions I often find myself asking.
What am I doing here?
What kind of life am I
trying to build?
And perhaps the greatest
gift this series offers is not a lesson, but a gentle reminder that we do not
have to answer those questions in a hurry.
Sometimes, like Hongdou, we
simply need to slow down long enough to recognise the place—and the people—that
help us become ourselves.





No comments:
Post a Comment