18/09/2026

BOOKS & MORE BOOKS: THE CUT, A BOOK I DIDN’T EXPECT TO REVIEW

Richard Armitage - credit Kaitlyn Mikayla
 

I didn't really know whether I was going to write about this book. It was a gift from a very good friend living in England. It is autographed by the author. And the author is Richard Armitage.

Now, if you have been reading FLY HIGH! for a long time, you will understand why this is not quite an ordinary book for me.

I have been following Richard Armitage since he was John Thornton in BBC North and South back in 2004. I watched almost everything he did as an actor, read books he recommended, wrote countless posts about him and his work, and even flew to London to see him on stage.

And, let's be honest, a large part of FLY HIGH!'s success in the past was connected to him. I wrote about him regularly, people came to the blog because of him, and some of the friendships I made through FLY HIGH! began with that shared fascination.

So yes, when he became an author, I was obviously going to read his books.

But there is a little problem.

Crime novels, mysteries and thrillers are really not my cup of tea.

I read Geneva, his first novel, and now I have finished The Cut. And although neither book belongs to the kind of fiction I normally choose for myself, I have to say that I found The Cut especially well written.

So here I am, writing about it after all.


SO, WHAT IS THE CUT ABOUT?

The Cut is a psychological crime thriller told through two timelines, 1994 and the present day.

In 1994, in the quiet English village of Barton Mallet, teenagers Ben Knott, his girlfriend Annie Maddock and their friends are enjoying their final year at school. But everything changes at the Leaver's Dance, when Annie is murdered.

One of their friends, Dave Patel, is convicted of the crime and sent to prison.

Thirty years later, Ben has apparently built a completely different life. He is an architect and businessman, has a partner and two children, and should have left that terrible summer far behind him.

Except that the past has a nasty habit of coming back.

Dave is about to be released from prison. Ben is also dealing with financial problems. And then a Hollywood film crew arrives in Barton Mallet to make a horror film, with Ben's teenage son Nathan landing one of the main roles.

The disturbing part?

The film's story begins to mirror the events of Ben's past. And suddenly the past and present start colliding.


DARK, MOODY AND CINEMATIC

One thing I certainly cannot complain about is the atmosphere.

The Cut is dark and moody, with a strong sense of place and an increasingly uncomfortable feeling that something is not quite right. Armitage builds the atmosphere very effectively, and there is a definite cinematic quality to the way the story unfolds.

And perhaps that should not surprise us.

After all, he is an actor. He has spent years working with scripts, characters, pacing and stories designed to keep an audience watching. Some of that experience inevitably finds its way into his writing.

The story moves towards a dramatic, high-stakes finale, bringing together the secrets of the past and the paranoia of the present. And this time I could really see what he was trying to do.


FROM ACTOR TO AUTHOR

One of the things I found interesting while thinking about The Cut is how much Armitage's experience with television seems to have influenced the way he constructs his stories.

He has talked about what he learned from working with Harlan Coben, particularly about structural pacing. Coben's approach to storytelling made him think differently about how a thriller should keep moving and how each section should push the reader towards the next revelation.

That influence seems particularly noticeable in The Cut.

Rather than telling the story in a straightforward way, Armitage moves between different periods and gradually connects the pieces. The 1994 tragedy runs alongside the modern film production, creating a kind of story within the story.

There are revelations, changes of direction and cliffhangers designed to make you want to carry on reading.

And I can see why this works.In fact, I suspect it works even better for readers who actually love thrillers.


BUT… I HAVE TO BE HONEST

Because this is FLY HIGH!, and because I don't want to pretend that I suddenly became a devoted thriller reader just because Richard Armitage wrote a book, I also have to say what didn't work for me.

The biggest problem was that I guessed some of the mystery and the major twists rather early.

And  once I had guessed where some of the story was going, part of the suspense disappeared.

There were also moments when I found the opening rather slow and I occasionally struggled with the plausibility of the modern film-crew storyline. But perhaps my biggest difficulty was the characters.I never became completely emotionally attached to them.

Both the teenagers and the adults are, in different ways, quite difficult people to relate to and I found myself more interested in discovering what had happened than desperately needing to know what would happen to them.

And that matters. At least to me. Because I'm the sort of reader who needs to care about people before I can become completely absorbed in their story.


SO, DID I ENJOY IT?

This is where it gets complicated. Would I have picked up The Cut in a bookshop if I didn't know who had written it? Probably not.

Would I recommend it to someone who, like me, doesn't particularly enjoy crime novels and thrillers? I'm not sure.

But does that mean I think it is a bad book? Absolutely not. Quite the opposite.

I think The Cut shows a writer who has become much more confident about structure, pacing and creating suspense. The atmosphere is effective, the story is carefully constructed, and there is a real sense of momentum once the different strands begin to come together.

It simply isn't my kind of story. And there is nothing wrong with that.


AND THEN THERE IS THE OTHER STORY…

The other reason I wanted to write about this book is, of course, the person who wrote it.

For years, Richard Armitage was one of the people I wrote about most on FLY HIGH!

That was another FLY HIGH!, really.

A blog full of North and South, John Thornton, films, television, theatre, interviews, photographs, discussions, excitement and all the wonderful friendships that came from sharing an obsession with someone else's work.

A lot has changed since then. I have changed. The blog has changed. My interests have changed. And my reading certainly has changed.

So perhaps there is something rather nice about finding myself here, all these years later, reading another book by the same actor who played such a huge part in the story of this blog.

Only now I don't feel that I have to love it just because I love the author. I can appreciate what he has done.

I can recognise the skill. I can even enjoy parts of the book and still say:

This is not really my cup of tea.


THE FINAL CUT

So, no, this isn't going to be one of those reviews where I tell you that The Cut changed my life and that everyone must immediately rush out and buy it. It didn't.

But I did find it a much more accomplished reading experience than I expected, especially considering how far the genre is from my usual choices.

And perhaps that is what I like most about having finally written this review. I didn't have to choose between being the old FLY HIGH! reader who followed Richard Armitage everywhere and the reader I am today. I could be both.

I could remember why I once found him so fascinating, appreciate how important he was to the history of this blog, read his latest book and then sit down and say honestly what I thought about it.

Which is, after all, what reading is supposed to be about. We don't have to love every book. Sometimes it is enough to finish one, close it, think about it for a while… …and realise that there was actually quite a lot to talk about after all.

 

No comments: