A Story Sixteen Years in the Making
A few weeks ago, I was
absent-mindedly scrolling through Instagram when a familiar name suddenly made
me stop.
June Hur.
For a moment I wondered, Could
it really be the same June?
It was.
Sixteen years ago, she was
one of the young bloggers I interviewed on FLY HIGH!. We used to exchange
emails about Jane Austen, period dramas, British actors and, above all, books.
She often told me about her greatest dream: one day becoming a published
writer.
Life moved on. We gradually
lost touch.
Then, thanks to one of
those rare moments when social media gets something wonderfully right, June
unexpectedly found her way back into my life.
Only this time she wasn't
an aspiring writer anymore.
She was a New York
Times bestselling author celebrating the publication of her fourth novel.
Some stories begin with a
book.
This one began with a reader.
Why I Couldn't Resist This
Novel
If you've been following
FLY HIGH! over the past few years, you'll know that I have developed a real
passion for Korean literature, Korean history and Korean dramas.
So imagine my reaction when
I discovered that June's newest novel was inspired by Pride and Prejudice
and set in eighteenth-century Joseon Korea.
Jane Austen.
Joseon Korea.
Forbidden books.
Anonymous letters.
How could I not read it?
I ordered the novel as soon
as it became available and couldn't wait for it to arrive.
Set in 1792, during a real
government ban on fiction, Behind Five Willows introduces us to Shin
Haewon, who secretly copies forbidden novels under the pen name
"Magpie", and Yu Seojun, a young nobleman who secretly writes fiction
under the name "Black Lotus". Before they truly meet, they already
know each other through the anonymous letters they exchange.
Yes, readers familiar with Pride
and Prejudice will enjoy recognising affectionate echoes of Elizabeth
Bennet and Mr Darcy. But this is far more than a Korean retelling of Austen's
masterpiece.
It is, first and foremost,
a book about books.
And I think that's the
reason it won me over from the very first pages.
What I Loved Most
I loved the historical
setting, which felt wonderfully alive without ever slowing down the story. The
ban on fiction isn't simply part of the background: it shapes the lives of
every character, creating a world where reading itself becomes an act of
courage.
I loved the conversations
about books, the secret exchange of letters, the hidden network of readers and
writers determined to keep stories alive despite every prohibition.
I loved Haewon.
Not because she reminded me
of Elizabeth Bennet, but because she reminded me of another girl entirely.
My younger self.
As a child—and later as a
teenager—I was an insatiable reader. There were never enough books. Libraries
felt magical. Bookshops were places where I could happily lose all sense of
time. Every shelf seemed to promise another adventure, another life, another
world waiting patiently to be discovered.
When Haewon first steps
into Five Willows and describes shelves filled with "ten thousand
lifetimes pressed between covers", I smiled. I knew exactly what she
meant.
Even today, whenever I walk
into a library or a bookshop, I still feel that same quiet excitement.
Perhaps that is why Behind
Five Willows felt so welcoming.
It reminded me why I fell
in love with reading in the first place.
And perhaps that is the
greatest compliment I can pay June Hur's novel.
It made me feel, once
again, like the girl who believed there could never be too many books.
.jpg)
No comments:
Post a Comment